Thursday, July 27, 2023

Finding My Mojo






Breaking rhythm has always been a problem for me.  Certainly that was true of the school year and summer vacation and then trying to get back into the swing of things in September.  And this has carried over into my quilting life.  On a week- long cruise of the Columbia River in Oregon, I did absolutely no handwork or plotting or planning.  The most quilty thing I saw was at the Maritime Museum in Astoria, Oregon.  These silk pieces, about 20” x 20”, were carried by Japanese soldiers and pilots during World War II and were made by their family members.  Some of these flags/pennants were returned to families, and some are on display here in this museum.  I think these are lovely pieces.

In approaching the studio once we returned home, I’ve been overwhelmed with how poorly I am using my fabulousstudio space and how much stuff I am holding onto that I just don’t use.  So I started to purge.  I came across a Noodlehead Trail Tote kit, complete with Carolyn Friedlander fabrics.  Of course I had to stop and make it.  The piping joining the purse front and back is a great design feature.  

Quilty buddy Lauren gave me a packet of Cherrywood Far quarters last October.  I love these gentle colors and have been pondering what to do with them.  Each colored rectangle is 7” x 9” and will get a bit bigger with the shadowing and neutral sashing.  I love having a project like this going because once the math and cutting is done, the sewing is kind of automatic.  On those days when I am not sure what I want to work on, I know this project is all ready to go.  A full size quilt is my goal.  

One project that has been on my radar for quite a while is the Park Sling backpack, shown below.  Sara Lawson’s projects are always fun to do, and my great niece in Ann Arbor is at a perfect age for this.  Below the pattern picture is a range of fabrics that I’ll be using   To be determined…! 


 
Q




No comments: