Sunday, October 11, 2009

And now for something completely different...

In the spring of 2005 Lynita and I finished our collaboration on this wall hanging for her home in Orland Park. It took us three sessions to get the fabric palate right, and during those sessions we hammered out the design. She wanted this piece to have depth with the illusion of fabrics advancing and retreating, and I think this piece has that element. Click on the quilt to see some of the fabric detail. This piece is different from anything else I've done, and I like the result. Recently Lynita and I spoke, and she says she is still thrilled with it. 56" x 76"

4 comments:

wsrhodes said...

Looks almost like a stained glass window!

Josie Ray said...

It reminds me of a cubist painting. Not far from here is a bluff of rocks that looks cubist. We sit for some time in front of it calling out people and animals that we see in the patterns. You might have taken your inspiration from those...or from Picasso...

The yellow makes it. Somehow that upper yellow crossbar raises all the other lovely colors a level or two to "entrancing." A stroke of genius...now, confess: which one of you selected that fabric? (Okay, DON'T tell, then. :-)

Josie Ray
Appalachian Dream

Donna said...

Josie Ray, Lynita really took the lead on this although we never did meet in a fabric store. She gave me colors, and I took fabrics. Then we threw out certain ones, and I added to the existing palette. This was around the time that I fell head over heels in love with batiks. So I'll take credit for getting the fabrics. But I give Lynita credit for the fabric selection and arrangement. I'm pleased with this quilt, but it was easy for me to part with!

Josie Ray said...

Donna, thank you for taking the time to clarify.

One other thing that I find interesting about this quilt, is that, usually when people want fabrics to advance and retreat, they put the lightest colored blocks on top and the dark in the backround to create shadows. Here you've done the reverse. It gives the quilt a look of recessed lighting...as if the maroon and blue blocks were backlit. A backglow.