Sunday, June 30, 2013

Playing with a Winner

Here's a photo of Victoria Findlay Wolfe, a NY quilter who won Best In Show at QuiltCon in Austin, TX last February.  She's a modern quilter who is, like so many of us, deeply rooted in traditional quilting.  The Chicago Modern Quilt Guild, thanks in large part to our vice-president Sarah Shulman, snagged Victoria for a workshop on June 29. Victoria's quilt shows her approach to quilting through made fabric.  After a 90-minute trunk show and lots of inspiration about the process, she set us loose with our scraps and our machines.
After an hour or so, here's what I came up with. And I just do not care for this at all. Victoria suggested it might be my scraps, so I hit her table of scraps. And colorful scraps, whether mine or hers, were not the issue. So with V's permission and blessing, I began to play with my neutrals and reds.
Here are 13 unfinished blocks abutting each other of my design wall. Looks crowded, doesn't it?  But I like this and know it's worth playing around with.  Perhaps spreading out the blocks a bit more...  Look at the next picture.  I was thinking about a new bedroom quilt - this eventually might be it!

Here's a link to Victoria's lovely blog.  http://bumblebeansinc.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

Mary P said...

Oh Donna, I love this! I think this will be fantastic, and it's much more YOU.

Unknown said...

The quilt is great! What was the name and designer of the black and white fabric?

Emily said...

Totally cool! I love hearing how far a reach this technique was for some of our members. That means we're really growing! :) I love your blocks!

Emily said...

great progress! glad you had a good time at the workshop :)