So often my quilts are planned out. It starts with the design and then the fabrics. How much of each fabric will I need, what size will be the blocks be, what will the borders be, will it be a hanger or a dragger, etc. Here's what I did on the quilting retreat with my red scraps. I was intending these bits to be a row in a scrap quilt.
Today was a free day for me. So I got out these red "units" and turned them into quilt blocks that are 12.5" high. And here's what I now have:
What I'm discovering is that what I have is a lot like a paragraph or an essay without punctuation. Instead of words running together, here all the reds just get lost in this huge maze.But when I separate the blocks, the effect is more pleasant to my eye. Instead of being a row of reds in a scrap quilt, I think these may become a wall hanging. Perhaps black will be good for the sashing. I think I need to leave these blocks on my design floor and just study them over the next few days while I begin one of the graduation hockey jersey quilt for May/June.