She's going to spend the winter in Lake Tahoe before getting herself back into school. So I offered to make her an Aeroplane Bag, figuring I've done four and could just knock this one out. Except she gave me a piece of leather her father brought back from Uruguay. Leather? Leather!
Okay. I gave it a go. And guess what? It turned out! I did have to make some modifications with the pattern. For instance, you can't iron fusible interfacing onto leather, which is how you normally affix the extra-heavy interfacing that gives the bag its shop. Instead I just sewed it onto the leather.
Luckily Cristina found a fabulous batik for the top of the bag. Joining the leather bottom to the top of the bag worked well, and I even managed to sew through the handle parts. Inserting the zipper was business as usual so that went well.
Because this project has a boxed bottom I had to get creative with this step to keep from sewing through two thicknesses of leather and two thicknesses of the extra-stiff interfacing. This part sort of worked but my math was off - no surprise there. But somehow it all worked.
The lining of this bag is from a dress project that Cristina did when she was a senior in high school. And the pockets are from a recent quilt of mine.
The zipper tabs are made from leather, and those look the roughest. But they work. And I think with time after the bag is broken in, they will be fine. And if they are, then maybe we need to visit a shoemaker.
I won't do a leather project again. But I am most proud of the one mechanical machine I have and what a great job it did sewing through all these thicknesses. Check out the side of this blog for index entries about Cristina - she's an extraordinary girl!
No comments:
Post a Comment