Last February I made a
bed topper from a wedding dress - my dental hygienist commissioned this piece for her daughter Kristin. Kristin loved this piece, and she asked for a similar project out of her bridesmaid dress for the bride. The bride had a baby shower yesterday, and Kristin was able to give her this 60" x 60" bed topper. The quilt blocks are the Friendship Star design - perfect for this project. So are all the sparkly fabrics. The back of the quilt actually shimmers. What a thoughtful and lovely gift.
Interested in how this all came together? Here are a series of process pictures:
 |
| There's actually 3 layers with these blocks because the dress was made from a sheer overlay on a shiny polyester. |
 |
| These two test blocks turned out fine. Luckily I ran into someone who suggested cutting bigger pieces and then trimming down. Good idea. See picture below. |
 |
| Look at the double layer of the royal blue |
 |
| The trimming process |
 |
| Trimmed blocks ready for putting together. |
 |
And lots and lots of quilting.
|
 |
| One of my QuiltCon purchases is this wrist pincushion. So handy. I have a zillion pincushions but they are never where I need them. Now? I have one wherever I am! |
The other project I wanted to do right away was this
Hazel Hipster. Patty chose these fabrics - what a happy spring bag. It is 10" x 12". I made this bag a few weeks ago and made a small modification by boxing the bag and the lining just a little. I think it's a great improvement. Stay tuned tomorrow for all the QuiltCon talk and more than you will ever want to know about Yoshiko Jinzenji!
1 comment:
Donna, we definitely have different ideas about what a "bright, happy" color is. I think your bag is a little subdued! :) But lovely.
I have been meaning to make myself a write pin cushion for about 5 or 6 years now. I bought supplies at some point even. It just occurred to me that I may have gotten rid of the pattern during our move. Oh well. One more reason for me to head to Pasadena next February!
Post a Comment