One of the moms from last Wednesday chose a stony/brown batik with a brown contrast band for the purse workshop. But then when she got here, she changed her mind and decided to go with a great red/green batik. So yesterday and today I took these purse pieces and stitched them us, using a different lining and actually following the pattern's directions for the handle. I'm not sure about using this thinner batting, and I definitely do not like the way these handles attach - I much prefer stitching in the handle strap with the zipper construction. I might have to find one of my good friends, Mr. Seam Ripper, and remove these straps and reattach them. Chicago Modern Quilt Guild comrade Erika described her latest quilt as "Oh, NOW I get it" - and that's what I think with every project I do, including this purse.
Having just reorganized my fabrics, I have become aware of some big pieces. One is shown here - a sheer striped cotton. I "stuck" CMQG buddy Rachel with several yards of it, and today decided to challenge myself to use this fabric with a technique Rachel talked about at our guild meeting. This fabric is going to be the backing, and I'm using its colors for the front. I've got 3" strips of several fabrics and will begin to make one long strip which will be assembled into horizontal rows.